Tuesday, May 20, 2008

1,000 Places to See Before You Die.

I am always fascinated by these books, now an owner of both 1,000 places to see before you die, and 1,000 places to see in the United States and Canada, they are really quite impressive. I am a modest traveler for someone my age, mostly I am just adventurous and I love exploring. Yet-I was surprised that I had seen 37 places in the global book, and 101 in the United States and Canada book. Yet for me it was the oddities in these books that I have not visited that have once again given me the itch for travel. The oddities of this book: places like Wall Drug in South Dakota, which is like Paris Hilton in that it is a place famous for being famous, known for having their signs all over the places, it has grown from a suffering business in 1931 to a world known place. Or maybe you could partisapate in a modern day gold rush, looking for diamonds in Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas. The only place in the world where you can look for diamonds for free. These places in states I'd probably never visit otherwise are why this book is so great. Yes, it contains places everyone knows Times Sqaure, the White House, and the Liberty Bell. But it is the unique places, that really make up the fabric of this country. It's not just the off-the beaten path books, which by the way I do not like that series--rather it's a mix of both known and unknowns that make the 1,000 things series truly great and fantastic.

No comments:

About Me

Politics, sports and whatever else I feel like talking about.